Thursday, June 14, 2012

I Am Doing Well

I am doing very well. I spent my afternoon in Hebron today, visiting the Abraham Mosque (the Tombs of the Patriarchs: Abraham, Sarah Isaac, Rebekah, Jacob, Joseph). The social situation in Hebron is very dysfunctional with an Israeli settlement in the very middle of old Hebron. Literally, the Israelis have split the mosque into 2, a Jewish half and a Muslim half. The Israeli settlers are protected by a very clear and visible Israeli military presence. The memory of the fanatical Jew opening fire on Muslims at the Mosque and murdering was ever-present in street conversation today. I heard it brought up multiple times as I walked the long road downtown toward the Abraham Mosque. GOD sent me very gracious Palestinians as I walked downtown. Many of them looked closely at me as I passed, and I said, "Marhaba. Salaam aleikum. Kefaheiluka? (Hello. Peace be upon you. How are you?". I was met with warm replies and several requests to stop and sit and visit. I was given hot tea, hot coffee, fresh, cold water, candy. I was treated as a special guest. I am not exaggerating. When I stepped off the Palestinian shuttle, a Palestinian man asked me where I am from. I replied, "Mississippi. America." He asked, "You want coffee? Then he bought me a cup and served me. And he warned me about those people in the old city who would offer to lead me to the mosque and around, only to require money for this." GOD watched over me and so many people showed me hospitality and graciousness. I am back in Bethlehem, sitting with my brother Marcel. I am well.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds very interesting. Praise be to God that you are back with Marcel safe and sound. God be with you! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete